ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking talented interns who crave learning new skills and aren’t afraid to tackle big projects. This is a unique opportunity to be given real responsibility from start to finish, help strengthen United Way’s mission by curating a strong brand voice that connects with our current audience while reaching new ones, and grow personally and professionally. In the past, our interns have had the opportunity to not only contribute to high-profile projects but to take the lead on them. You’ll get to research and write original and compelling stories, participate in an active and friendly office, play a role in staff meetings, and learn through a number of different collaborative projects. As the Prosperity Center intern, you will work directly with the Prosperity Center team on the mission to improve financial literacy in Frederick. Your duties and assignment will be related with the programs offered by the Prosperity Center. You will work on projects to improve already existing programs, help create new ones, and help provide a comprehensive overview of the work of the Prosperity Center.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with our staff, other professionals in the non-profit and for-profit industries, and community leaders. You will be exposed to the inside workings of non-profit organization and get yourself familiar with the way non-profits function. You will learn about important work United Way and the Prosperity Center do for Frederick community and you will be a part of it. You will receive training and consistent support throughout the internship. You will become familiar with the work of the Prosperity Center. We value your input, so we encourage our interns to speak-up and give us fresh and valuables ideas. At United Way, we make sure our interns take initiative and improve their leadership skills.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
United Way of Frederick County seeks a Prosperity Center Intern to utilize their skills and assist in the support and development of our Prosperity Center activities to accomplish the following tasks:
1. Aid in the implementation of our IDA matched savings account program.
2. Produce comprehensive calendar of Prosperity Center activities and provide support in producing a calendar of services and activities.
3. Increase awareness, trust, and support of United Way.
4. Correspond via email with our Prosperity Center Savers
5. Provide information on our programs during various community service events and volunteer recruitment events
6. Help with the volunteer recruitment process for the Prosperity Center
7. Help improve our existing programs
8. Help with preparation of monthly reports.
9. Help with preparation, planning and promotion of Prosperity Center events and programming.
10. Assist VITA free income tax preparation activities as needed.
11. Assist United Way team in related events and social media activities.
12. Contribute to planned press releases and media advisories regarding Prosperity Center.
13. Contribute to planning and preparation of Frederick County Financial Literacy Coalition meetings.
14. Communicate with members of the Coalition to gather feedback and keep them up to date on United Way activities.
15. Write blog posts on the work of the Prosperity Center
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT
You are a passionate individual with the desire to help improve the existing economic situation of individuals and families in Frederick. You care about social issues and have an unquenchable thirst for learning. You’re creative and obsessed with details. You have an impeccable style and lively tone. This internship is perfect for students who are aspiring to work in public service, economic development, or generally work for non-profits in the future. While you will be assigned daily duties and will be working under the guidance of our staff, our interns are encouraged to come up with their own ideas. As the ideal candidate, you are:
• Committed to assisting your Frederick neighbors move out of poverty and working with low income communities.
• Pursuing a degree in Political Science, Economics, Business, Communications, Global Studies, or a related field.
• Interested in the work of non-profits and even consider working for non-profit in the future
• An excellent writer and editor
• Sensitive and committed to working with our clients
• Motivated, resourceful, and have a strong work ethic; you are able to self-manage and take projects from beginning to end, and deliver results on or before deadline while retaining high quality of work.
• Energetic, friendly, and able to thrive both in a collaborative environment and autonomously.
• Able to occasionally make time in your schedule in order to attend related events
• Willing to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns as staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment dedicated to making a positive impact on people’s lives, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
HOW TO APPLY
See http://www.unitedwayfrederick.org/Careers for instructions on how to apply, including important deadlines and dates for fall, spring and summer internships. Make sure to reference “Prosperity Center Internship” in the subject line of any correspondence concerning your interest in this position.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.