ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking talented and responsible interns, who have the ability to think on their feet. This position is fast paced, and requires interns to adapt to new situations all the time. Real responsibility will be given to interns to engage with youth, to help keep participants safe, and to be a positive role model for local youth. Summer Serve Interns have historically worked very closely with Summer Serve Counselors and also are a voice of authority among participants. Interns will have to monitor students, assist in program operations and coordination, and aid in facilitating positive experiences between service sites and participants. To be successful at this position, interns have to be team players and a leader. This internship will be overseen by the Community Engagement Manager and supervised by the Director of Summer Serve. This is a fantastic opportunity for individuals to work with youth, gain familiarity with the nonprofits in Frederick and develop leadership skills. To learn more about our Summer Serve program see our website: https://www.unitedwayfrederick.org/summerserve.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You will have ample opportunity to network with our staff, other professionals in the non-profit and for-profit industries, and community leaders. You will be exposed to the inside workings of non-profit organization and get yourself familiar with the way non-profits function. You will learn about important work United Way does for the Frederick community and you will be a part of it. You will receive training and consistent support throughout the internship. You will learn how to work with people and children from all different backgrounds and passions. We value your input, so we especially encourage Summer Serve interns to speak-up and give us fresh and valuable ideas. At United Way, we make sure our interns take initiative and improve their leadership skills.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
United Way of Frederick County seeks a Summer Serve Intern to utilize their skills and assist in the support and development of our Summer Serve activities to accomplish the following tasks:
• Effectively and appropriately supervise youth participants at service and recreation sites.
• Maintain effective discipline while respecting youth participants as individuals.
• Model positive behavior and maintain a positive, yet professional and caring tone each day.
• STAY ENGAGED. A major part of this position is showing respect to the youth by participating in service and recreation alongside them.
• Engage youth in activity-based lessons, discussion, and reflection of the service and related issues before, during, and after the project (staff will develop lesson plans with the assistance of the youth service director and the service site coordinator).
• Assist with the evaluation process, including tracking program outcomes.
• Maintain a professional relationship with partnering agencies, obtain feedback and constructive criticism from the service site coordinator daily, and work proactively to alleviate any concerns of the service site staff.
• Notify the United Way Summer Serve director of any concerns that disrupt the positive professional relationship between United Way of Frederick County and the partner agency.
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT
As the ideal candidate, you are:
• 16 years of age or older
• Experienced in supervising and engaging youth
• Experienced in Summer Serve (preferred)
• Able to calmly, safely, and effectively deal with unexpected situations
• Flexible and able to be in a supervisory role, as well as accept supervision
• Civically engaged and have volunteer experience (previous or current)
• Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff. Interns are required to participate for at least two Summer Serve sessions – totaling four weeks. Interns who have successfully completed the internship will be given priority consideration when applying to be a summer serve counselor– even if they are still 17 the following summer.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns with the same respect and dignity as our staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment dedicated to making a positive impact on people’s lives, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with your direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
HOW TO APPLY
See http://www.unitedwayfrederick.org/Careers for instructions on how to apply, including important deadlines. Make sure to reference “Summer Serve Internship” in the subject line of any correspondence concerning your interest in this position.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.