Community Impact Internship United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.
ABOUT THE POSITION
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. The community impact internship is perfect for students who are seeking experience to develop their skills in nonprofit management or seek a greater understanding of the nonprofit sector. United Way is unique due to its stance as an indirect service provider that works closely with partner organization’s projects through providing funds and evaluating their work in the community. Through an internship with United Way, you will learn the ins and outs of the operation and management of nonprofit operations. You will familiarize yourself with the grant-making process. You will gain valuable insight into how the direct service community works in Frederick County. Reinforce your studies and gained knowledge with practical application and experience in the real world. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with our staff, other professionals in the non-profit and for-profit industries, and community leaders.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will work collaboratively and independently to help in all aspects of the community impact division of United Way of Frederick County. Your responsibilities may include:
• Assisting in fostering cooperation between nonprofit organizations
• Aiding in the facilitation of meetings and discussion regarding projects across Frederick
• Cooperate in the grant making process by assisting in developing request for proposals (RFPs)
• Transcribing notes from meetings with board members, area nonprofits, and departments within United Way itself
• Participate in United Way events
• Help prepare planning for new grant structures
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU’RE A GOOD FIT
You have a strong work ethic, and a desire to directly impact the lives of others. You’re full of awesome ideas and are able to put yourself and those ideas out for others to see. You are very detail oriented, have a great work ethic, and can meet deadlines. As the ideal Candidate you are:
• Pursuing a degree in management, nonprofit studies, or community engagement.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat. • Positive and friendly, and able to thrive both in a collaborative environment and autonomously.
• Proactively solving problems, both technically and creatively, with constant attention to process improvement.
• Motivated, resourceful, and have a strong work ethic; you are able to self-manage and take projects from beginning to end, and deliver results on or before deadline while retaining high quality of work.
• Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns as staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
HOW TO APPLY
See http://www.unnitedwayfrederick.org/Careers for instructions on how to apply, including important deadlines and dates for fall, spring, and summer internships. Make sure to reference “Community Impact Internship” in the subject line of any correspondence concerning your interest.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.