ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking talented interns who crave learning new skills and aren’t afraid to tackle big projects. This is a unique opportunity to be given real responsibility from start to finish, help strengthen United Way’s mission by curating a strong brand voice that connects with our current audience while reaching new ones, and grow personally and professionally. We are looking for someone who regularly finds and shares quality stories online, knows all the latest trends, and uses social media to start conversations about important topics. Someone passionate about social issues. Someone who’s full of awesome ideas and creative flair, has a strong aesthetic sense, and pays attention to details and consistency in style.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
You will have the opportunity to create, promote and track content, gain insights into what makes compelling content and shape it in response to our community’s wants, and acquire the skills to optimize everything you write for the web. You will have a chance to learn how to use a DSLR camera and a GoPro, as well as basics of photo/video editing. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with our staff, other professionals in the non-profit and for-profit industries, and other community leaders.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will collaborate on several different aspects of the organization’s communications and marketing:
Websites (UnitedWayFrederick.org & ProsperityCenter.org):
• Developing and implementing a content strategy;
• Researching, creating, and optimizing unique content, including blog posts, web pages;
• Reviewing existing content, aligning it with the current tone of voice, and optimizing it.
• Creating a social media strategy and developing strategies to direct traffic to website;
• Managing existing soc
• Engaging with our online community, driving discussions, and responding to inquiries
• Using social media analytics to report results and new ideas to the marketing team;
• Assisting with design and production of multimedia features, such as videos and photos;
• Assisting with design and production of ads and other promotional media;
• Assisting with video and photo logging, editing and archiving.
• Rounding up news about past and upcoming projects and partnerships for email subscribers;
• Writing press releases and monitoring media coverage;
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT
This internship is perfect for students who are aspiring marketing and communications professionals, bloggers, or influencers. While you will be assigned to work on projects under the guidance of your supervisor, our interns are encouraged to come up with their own ideas. As the ideal candidate, you are:
• Pursuing a degree in Marketing, Communications, non-profit management, or a related field.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and have some familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
• Resourceful, an intuitive and creative thinker, and love a challenge.
• Familiar with social media sites, and have some familiarity with web writing tactics and SEO.
• An excellent writer and editor, with great attention to detail (experience writing for web a plus).
• Motivated, resourceful, and a hard worder; you are able to self-manage and take projects from beginning to end, and deliver results on or before deadline while retaining high quality of work.
• Positive, friendly, and able to thrive both in a collaborative environment and autonomously.
• Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns as staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
You are expected to work 8-12 hours per week, spread out over 2-3 days each week. Most of the work is done at the office, but occasional work from home is allowed (just ask). If you are currently enrolled in school, we value flexibility around key times including, but not limited to, final exams and holidays. To apply, please submit your application to [email protected] with the subject line “Digital Content Internship.” Application must include your résumé, brief cover letter, and a writing sample or links to online samples. PDF is the preferred format. More details at unitedwayfrederick.org/Careers.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.