ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking talented interns who crave learning new skills and aren’t afraid to tackle big projects. This is a unique opportunity to be given real responsibility from start to finish. Strengthen United Way’s mission and build out your portfolio by helping us make our stellar marketing and advertising ideas come to life. In the past, our interns have had the opportunity to not only contribute to high -profile projects but to take the lead on them. You’ll get to create a stunning digital and print presence for the organization, participate in an active and friendly office, play a role in staff meetings, and learn through a number of different collaborative projects.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits our career goals. This internship is perfect for students who are aspiring graphic designers looking for the chance to grow their portfolio with meaningful work that will be viewed by a large audience. You will have the opportunity to take on advertising and marketing design assignments from concept to production- ready artwork, be exposed to traditional and digital marketing activities, and learn how marketing campaigns are executed from idea to implementation. While you will be assigned tasks, you will be encouraged to choose how they’re completed and to come up with your own ideas. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with our staff, other professionals in the non-profit and for-profit industries, and community leaders.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will be tasked with helping us take our visual brand and marketing materials to the next level. Your supervisor and a team of interns will provide the content, while you’ll help us make it visually impactful (this makes you the key contributor during the creative process). Your level of skill will determine the projects on which you can assists, but they may involve:
• Designing and creating social media images and cover photos, infographics, posters, brochures, print and digital advertisements, e-blasts, PowerPoints, and landing pages/forms;
• Planning, designing, and executing a biweekly newsletter; • Revamping and/or replacing existing graphics with a modern aesthetic; • Retouching, archiving and re-sizing files;
• Assisting with additional ad hoc marketing projects as they arise.
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT
Your designs reflect creative and innovative concepts and solutions. You are full of awesome ideas and creative flair, someone who can take a bland graphic and make it cool. You have a strong aesthetic sense, and pay attention to detail and consistency in style. As the ideal candidate, you are:
• Pursuing a degree in graphic design, or a related field.
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite CC (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator).
• Positive and friendly, and able to thrive both in a collaborative environment and autonomously.
• Motivated, resourceful, and have a strong work ethic; you are able to self-manage and take projects from beginning to end, and deliver results on or before deadline while retaining high quality of work.
• Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff. Additional skills we’d love you to have but don’t require:
• Photography/Videography, and use of a DSLR camera and a GoPro;
• iMovie or other video editing;
• HTML and CSS.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns as staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
You are expected to work 8-12 hours per week, spread out over 2-3 days each week. Most of the work is done at the office, but occasional work from home is allowed (just ask). If you are currently enrolled in school, we value flexibility around key times including, but not limited to, final exams and holidays. To apply, please submit your application to [email protected] with the subject line “Graphic Design Internship.” Application must include your résumé, brief cover letter, and examples of work or link to an online portfolio. PDF is the preferred format. For more details about our Internship Program, please visit unitedwayfrederick.org/Careers.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.