ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a creative individual who can work independently and help us bring brand awareness across all online platforms. United Way of Frederick County uses photography, video and text to produce original stories, and draws on these resources for our website, social media, and outreach to volunteers and donors. In the past, our interns have had the unique opportunity to not only contribute to high-profile projects but to take the lead on them. You will assist in the production of feature stories and take part in all steps of the creative process, from pitching ideas to publishing on our website.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. This internship is perfect for students who are aspiring multimedia creators and influencers looking for the chance to grow their portfolio with meaningful work that will be viewed by a large audience. This hands-on experience with photo and video production will allow you to develop your skills and build your portfolio while telling the story of United Way, our clients, and volunteers. You will have the opportunity to take on assignments from start to finish under guidance and be exposed to traditional and digital marketing activities. You will also learn how to work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with our staff, other professionals in the non-profit and for-profit industries, and community leaders.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
You will work collaboratively to generate story ideas, photographs and videos that meet United Way’s specifically- identified needs. Your responsibilities may include:
• Research projects to learn about them prior to filming, provide creative ideas for video footage, assist with storyboarding and script writing, collect b-roll footage, as necessary;
• Setup and operate various production equipment including cameras, audio and video recorders, lighting equipment, and microphones for location and studio production;
• Independently shoot videos for e-blasts and other marketing purposes.
• Edit footage into deliverable content;
• Suggest and apply solutions to improve quality of the final piece.
• Shoot internal events and public events, as well as client and volunteer portraits;
• Categorize, organize, edit, label, and tag digital photos for the organization photo archive;
• Assist in producing photo essays from concept through online publication and promotion, including acting as a contributing photographer.
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT
You have a strong work ethic, and a desire to directly impact the lives of others. You’re full of awesome ideas and creative flair, have a strong aesthetic sense, and pay attention to detail and consistency in style. Your creative and innovative concepts reflect you strong video shooting, editing and storytelling skills. As the ideal candidate, you are:
• Pursuing a degree in photography, videography, communications, or a related field;
• Proficient in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier and/or other video editing applications;
• Proficient in Adobe Photoshop and/or other photo editing applications;
• Proficient in a DSLR photography workflow, including tagging, organizing and toning photos;
• Familiar with mic placement, sound recording, and lighting techniques.
• Positive and friendly, and able to thrive both in a collaborative environment and autonomously;
• Motivated, resourceful, and a hard worker; you are able to self-manage and take projects from beginning to end, and deliver results on or before deadline while retaining high quality of work;
• Proactively solving problems, both technically and creatively;
• Comfortable directing, interviewing, and helping people relax in front of the camera.
• Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns as staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. We value all of our interns and go the extra mile to make sure you receive a learning experience that fits your career goals. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
You are expected to work 8-12 hours per week, spread out over 2-3 days each week. Most of the work is done at the office, but occasional work from home is allowed (just ask). If you are currently enrolled in school, we value flexibility around key times including, but not limited to, final exams and holidays. To apply, please submit your application to [email protected] with the subject line “Multimedia Internship.” Application must include your résumé, brief cover letter, and examples of work or link to an online portfolio. PDF is the preferred format. For more details about our Internship Program, please visit unitedwayfrederick.org/Careers.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.