WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Best Practices In Volunteer Management, Local Human Services Systems And Netowrks, Confidential Services Provision, And Customer Service And Experience With Application Of Database Software, Internet Applications And Microsoft Software.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
United Way of Frederick County seeks a Volunteer Engagement Intern to utilize their skills and assist in the support and development of our Volunteer Center activities to accomplish the following tasks:
1. Manage key activities of the Volunteer Center to match interested volunteers with opportunities for service in the community.
2. In partnership with staff and non-profits, develop and promote volunteer opportunities that:
• Have impact on key issues
• Meet the interests and needs of constituents
• Are innovative, measureable and replicable
3. Assist in strengthening partnerships and share best practices to ensure successful experiences between businesses and non-profits.
4. Manage volunteer engagement marketing, website, information services, social media processes that support the volunteer experience.
5. Assist with volunteer trainings/orientations.
6. Work with a variety of volunteers in the community in several capacities including direct service.
HOW YOU WILL KNOW IF YOU ARE A GOOD FIT
As the ideal candidate, you are:
• Interested in the work of non-profits and even consider working for non-profit in the future
• An excellent writer and editor
• Have strong oral and written communication abilities, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, understanding and appreciation of working with diverse staff and volunteers, mature judgement and sensitivity to confidential services
• Motivated, resourceful, and have a strong work ethic; you are able to self-manage and take projects from beginning to end, and deliver results on or before deadline while retaining high quality of work.
• Energetic, friendly, and able to thrive both in a collaborative environment and autonomously
• Able to occasionally make time in your schedule in order to attend related events
• Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks at the request of supervisors and other professional staff.
WHAT MAKES UNITED WAY A GREAT PLACE TO INTERN?
We treat our interns as staff members, and we treat our staff members as family. You’ll be exposed to a challenging, energetic environment dedicated to making a positive impact on people’s lives, while also kicking back with a cool team during staff activities – especially our workplace wellness programs – and different public events. Our culture rests on the values of inclusiveness, passion, compassion, excellence, innovation, and risk-taking. You’ll be able to further develop your skills and gain hands-on experience that can be transferred to your future career. You’ll receive supervision and support through weekly check-ins with direct supervisor, as well as the opportunity to learn how to give and receive constructive feedback during occasional internship reflection meetings with other interns.
HOW TO APPLY
See http://www.unitedwayfrederick.org/Careers for instructions on how to apply, including important deadlines and dates for fall, spring and summer internships. Make sure to reference “Volunteer Engagement Internship” in the subject line of any correspondence concerning your interest in this position.
About United Way of Frederick County
United Way of Frederick County is a community change organization and we are on a mission to change lives in Frederick forever. We unite the smartest minds, the biggest hearts, and the most hardworking hands from all walks of life to tackle Frederick’s toughest challenges. For more than 75 years, we have continually set and reached ambitious goals, proving that anything is possible when we come together.